If you don’t have a job offer and your UK-based company is unwilling or unable to sponsor your work visa, you won’t generally be able to receive a UK work permit.
The Skilled Worker visa, which replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa is the primary way of obtaining a Work permit in the UK. It allows overseas employees to come to the United Kingdom and work in an authorized job for an approved business.
The requirements to be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa include:
- Work for a UK employer who has been approved by the Home Office. Obtain a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer outlining the function you’ve been assigned in the UK.
- Work in one of the positions on the list of eligible occupations.
- Your precise eligibility is decided by your profession. You must be paid a minimum wage, which varies based on the type of work you do.
Furthermore, you must have a strong command of the English language.
The applicant must have a verified employment offer in hand to apply for a Skilled Worker visa in the UK. So, if you don’t have a Sponsorship from a UK firm, you won’t be able to take up this route to work in the country.
There are, however, additional options for obtaining a work visa in the United Kingdom. You can apply for a Global talent visa, an Innovator visa, or Self-sponsorship.
Global Talent visa
If you have won an eligible award or have a successful endorsement by a Home Office-approved organisation, you can apply for a Global Talent visa. To be considered for immigration under the UK Global Talent visa, candidates must obtain an endorsement from one of six recognised endorsing bodies which include- the Royal Society, UK Research and Innovation (UKRI), Royal Academy of Engineering, British Academy, Arts Council England or Tech Nation. The Home Office will send your application to the relevant endorsing body and respective organisations and one of these organisations will make an endorsement decision based on your profile and the evidence you provide.
Endorsement Criteria for UK Global Talent visa
Endorsing bodies apply two sets of criteria when considering a candidate.
- The Exceptional Talent criteria will be considered for applicants who have already demonstrated a significant impact as a leader in their field,
- The Exceptional Promise criteria will be considered for applicants who are still early in their careers but have already demonstrated the potential to make significant contributions as future leaders in their field.
An application for a Global Talent visa can be made from within or outside the United Kingdom. In the United Kingdom, online applications are accepted. You can alter your current visa status to a Global Talent visa.
If you are already in the nation on Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4, Tier 5, or Startup Innovator visas, you can apply to switch to the Global Talent visa.
You must have won a qualifying prize or gotten a good endorsement from a Home Office-approved organization if you are applying from another country.
A Global Talent visa can be applied online or at a visa application centre. You can apply from anywhere in the world as long as you have the authorization to stay in that country for at least 6 months.
If you wish to start and run an innovative business in the UK, you can take up the Innovator visa route. Given that your firm is distinct from the other business on the market. To go ahead with the same, you’ll need an approved endorsing body, to endorse your firm or business idea.
Eligibility Criteria for Innovator Visa:
You must be able to demonstrate that your business concept meets the following criteria:
- You must start a new initiative and can’t join a company that is already in operation.
- You must have a unique business concept that is unlike anything else on the market.
- Your inventive business idea must have room for expansion
Besides, you must be able to communicate in English by speaking, reading, writing, and understanding it. When you apply, you’ll almost always be asked to demonstrate your command of the English language.
You can apply online for an Innovator visa. You have to submit the required documents including a valid passport, bank details, investment details, etc. along with your application. Your dependents, including your spouse and children, however, have to apply separately for visas.
Entrepreneurs may find the Self-sponsorship route to be an appropriate solution. The requirements for applying for the same are pretty straightforward. All you need is a sincere desire to start a business and run an active commercial enterprise in the United Kingdom.
This option is open to anyone with significant experience in the field in which they intend to operate, as long as they have the funds to sustain their expansion.
Once the business has been established in the UK, the organization can sponsor the founder/owner under the Skilled Worker route. As either a senior executive, running the business, or in another eligible role, if desired.
Self-sponsorship is available to anyone who fits the following criteria:
- In the field where they seek to start a business, the applicant should have some knowledge, ability, or qualification.
- The candidate must have a company idea or be looking to expand an existing business in the United Kingdom.
- The applicant must be able to support their prospective business in the United Kingdom financially.
- The applicant knows a UK local who is settled in the country or is a British citizen who can take over the Authorising Officer’s responsibilities.
- The candidate must take and pass a Level B1 certified English language test.
Self-sponsorship has several advantages, including the ability to run, operate, and maintain your business in the United Kingdom.
You will be able to stay in the UK without danger of your visa being revoked (i.e. sense of freedom)
We are here to assist you
Overseas nationals are legally permitted to establish businesses in the United Kingdom. But they are advised to do so under the guidance of a certified qualified UK immigration solicitor or
business advisor, as there are specific requirements that must be met. Our expert lawyers at A Y & J Solicitors can assist you with the same and help you set up a successful business in the United Kingdom. Also Checkout here – Top 10 Immigration Lawyers in London UK