If science fascinates you then becoming a scientist will be a dream for you. They’re skilled professionals who conduct research and experiments to gain knowledge in a particular field. Students who aspire to become a scientist has to complete certain eligibility criteria and do some research to become a scientist in their respective field. In India, if you want to become a scientist only a bachelor’s degree will not be sufficient, you need to have a PhD degree to be eligible for the position.
Overview: Quick Facts
|Industry||Science & Technology|
|Eligibility||PhD degree in relevant science stream.|
|Average starting salary||INR 70,000- INR 80,000/ monthly|
|Job opportunity||Working in reputed organizations, and laboratories in India and abroad.|
Eligibility Criteria in Under-Graduation
- If you wish to become a scientist at first you’ve to complete your 10+2 with a science background as PCM or PCB from a school authorized by state or central government with an aggregate of 70% or above CGPA.
- Then, you’ve to have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university/college with science as their primary subject with an aggregate of 60% or above marks in every subject you’ve taken as a primary or secondary subject.
- Students must have a master’s degree from a recognized university/college with science as their primary subject with an aggregate of 60% or above marks in the bachelor’s degree in every subject you’ve taken as a primary or secondary subject.
- Students should also have a PhD degree in the relevant subject with proper research and laboratory experience.
Check Out– Sample papers for Class 9 Science
Entrance Test in Scientist Career
To fulfilling the eligibility criteria, students go through various entrance examinations for the bachelor’s, post-graduation, and PhD level degrees. There are various national levels of examination that are required for a PhD. Students like the UGC NET Examination, CSIR- NET Examination, etc.
Bachelor’s Course for Scientist
BSc. is a popular course among science students who are pursuing to become a scientist. For science students it is a good choice to choose BSc. as it gives you theoretical and practical knowledge about basic and applied science, mathematics, biology, horticulture etc.,
Admission process for the scientist field
For BSc. admission process, there’re two ways through which you can get admission in the program in the topmost universities/colleges:
(a) Top colleges of Delhi University and some other topmost colleges provide admissions on the basis of the merit-based list. If the student has a good score in their 10+2, they’ll get admission on the basis of their aggregate marks.
(b) There’re some other colleges like AMU and several other colleges/universities that provide admission through entrance tests. The entrance test score decides the admission of the student.
Eligibility for Admission
The eligibility criteria for BSc. program may vary from one university to another and you need to meet eligibility criteria for admission, but the common criteria for admission are:
(a) The minimum age for admission in the BSc. program is 18 years old.
(b) The basic eligibility score for admission is 50% of aggregate marks in each subject.
(c) The core subjects must include physics, chemistry, biology, and mathematics to be eligible for admission.
Also, Need a Master’s Course
MSc. is a two-year PG program that offers theoretical and practical subjects like physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, botany, zoology, and many other subjects
Also, Read- NCERT Solutions for Class 12 Maths
Admission To Master’s For Scientist
The students must follow all these steps to get admission into the MSc program:
(a) Must check the eligibility criteria and appear for the examination accordingly.
(b) Check the list of cut-offs
(c) Select the college according to the list which is good and you’re eligible for it.
(d) Take the counselling session, after the session you’ll get admission.
Eligibility for Master’s
(a) Students must secure 50-60% of marks from any recognized university in their UG program in Science or any other management course to pursue the PG course.
(b) Students must give any competitive examinations like CAT, GATE, etc.
PhD. Programs for scientists
- The doctoral program is a research-based course. Through experiments, observations, questions, modelling, and research, students discover some new concepts and try to incorporate them into their dissertation.
- One of the main objectives of the PhD. Program in Science is to prepare students for research in science learning and education in a variety of scientific disciplines.
- The subjects taught in this department include physics, chemistry, biology, computer science, and life sciences. Target topics include geophysics and materials science.
- Academic performance must be completed at the beginning of the course. This program covers all the important theories and principles of the selected subject.
- After completing the course, students need to do their own research and write a dissertation to be submitted at the end of the course.
So, here are the ways and the criteria which you need to complete if you wish to become a scientist. Though it’s not easy to become a scientist as it takes 7-10 years to complete the program and much research and laboratory experience. But, in the end, it’s all worth it. Keep practising.
The author of This Blog is- Brijesh Sharma